Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Truth About Homeschooling

So as my first post on this blog I thought I'd give you a little insight into what my homeschooling is like and what my experience has been. Here is the lowdown(and I'll probably continue to have posts like this letting you know every REAL thing about homeschooling...more than the bullshit you'll get from websites):

-Not all homeschoolers are socially inept. A lot of us can handle all social situations. (That is not to say that the stereotype doesn't come from SOME where...)

-Not all homeschoolers wear floor length skirts and high necked polo shirts(imagine the Duggars on that 19 Kids and Counting). It's cool that they wear that stuff because they're religious and all that...but really...most homeschoolers aren't like that. I'm actually pretty into fashion.

-Not all homeschoolers are homeschooled because they are super smart, super dumb, religious, or hippies.

-Homeschoolers do have regular schooled friends

-WE HAVE FRIENDS

-There are places to go/things to do during the day for homeschoolers. We take some classes together(and yeah you can think but aren't you supposed to be schooled at home? Yeah it's all about being self motivated, and having alternative classes and stuff! I'm not going to explain all the facets of homeschooling), there are like social groups of kids that get together to do activities.

Those are the basics and I know a lot of that are the best things about homeschooling, so here are some things i've seen in my time as a homeschooler that has really sucked. (But a lot of it is also stuff that happens in schools):

-There was LOTS of drama in the 'group' I was part of. Sadly, I wouldn't recommend that certain group to any homeschooler anymore. Plus the drama, cliques, and down-right bullying that I saw weren't handled very well.

-I have also experienced mothers that homeschool their children ending up being too much of that mom. The mom that pretty much smothers her children and doesn't let them grow or move on.

-Then there is the 'cool mom' problem. Oh yeah, I saw that a lot as well. SO many homeschooling moms who were bound and determined to be 'cool'. Just be a mom. If you ARE cool, people will think you're cool. If you aren't, you're still probably a great mom.

-There are the bitchy girls that don't ever stop being bitchy.(Just like in highschool!)

-There are LOTS of rumors...and things that wouldn't be a huge deal in high school end up being huge deals to some home schooled people. ALSO, when you're homeschooled some PARENTS get involved in the gossip/rumors. That is truly sickening.

But above it all it's about loving to learn, and truly TRYING to learn from everything. So if you are motivated to learn and grow and if you can handle highschool...you can certainly handle the high school years of homeschooling. I went through all that shit while keeping grades up and dealing with other delemmas and I can still honestly say homeschooling has been amazing and I would NEVER change the fact that I was homeschooled.

Any questions? Feel free to comment or send a question to...formspring!

No comments:

Post a Comment